Happy Hump Day, All! Wednesdays can be tough- it’s entirely possible you did some food prep on Sunday, and now it’s all gone! What to do next? What do you have time for? Here are some ideas!
Asparagus pesto– a great way to eat your asparagus a different way, and to add a nice springy flavor to your dishes
Squash Shrimp Primavera– All the credit here goes to the hubby, who has really come into his own with cooking in a short amount of time. A few purchases on better cookware and decent knifes, and he’s a regular Jacques Pepin! But, for those of you who can deal with a little less direction, all he did was:
- Use 1 zucchini and 1 squash to slice in a mandolin- you can also use your handy, dandy spirlizer, or cut by hand into thin sticks. We liked this al dente- just like pasta. Too much cooking, and those veggies are going to leak all their water and get smushy!
- Saute in a little olive oil- be creative with spices- red paper flakes, some garlic salt, S & P, basil, whatever you like.
- Saute some shrimp in a little olive oil (tails off, de-vained are easier) with garlic, add in some diced tomatoes
- Combine with sautéed veggies
- VIOLA! A healthy, filling, springy, QUICK meal- I’m lucky, I know 😉
Chorizo Burgers- A recipe from one of our participants with her own twist:
Passive Time- 35 minutes
Ingredients- For the burger
1lb Ground beef, go lean! (room temperature)- (ground turkey is a great option here)
1lb Chorizo(casings removed, room temperature)- (go for chicken sausage instead- use just 1/2 the pack)
Ingredients- For the topping
1 Red onion(diced)
2 Tomatoes(medium, diced)
Juice from 1 lime
Sea salt(to taste)
Black pepper(to taste)
– Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
– Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
– In a medium mixing bowl, combine the beef and chorizo. Use your hands to combine the meats well.
– Form the combined meat into 6 equally sized patties.
– Place the patties on the prepared backing sheet and cook in a preheated oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
– While the burgers are cooking make the topping by adding together the avocado, onion, and tomato.
– Add the lime juice, stir to coat.
– Season with sea salt and black pepper.
– Top each burger with the topping mixture. Serve immediately.
Here are some easy ways to curb your sweet tooth if you’re always looking for a little something to munch on after dinner : Sweet Tooth Alternatives
AND to help celebrate Cinco de Mayo this weekend- I think I’ll be celebrating with this myself! ANOTHER awesome recipe from our same participant:
Mexican Chocolate Mousse
2 Ripe avocados
1cup Coconut milk
1/2cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
2tsp Vanilla extract
1/2tsp Ground ancho chile
– Combine all of the ingredients together in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
– Adjust honey to taste.
– Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Keep working on your fitness AND nutrition folks! Please send along any recipes you enjoy for me to share with the group!